Everything that you take and you do at the time of pregnancy will have impact on the development body of your baby. It is very important to keep the immune system very healthy and strong during pregnancy and avoid causing infections.
Toxoplasmosis is a kind of infection that is mainly causes at the time of pregnancy for the woman with low immune system. This infection is most common in animals and birds and this mainly causes due to a parasite, Toxoplasma gondii. As there are no many side effects with this infection, it causes harm for the development of fetus. Cats are the main sources for this parasite and it first enters into the cats body, grows there are enters into other animals and humans.
The most common causes of Toxoplasmosis during pregnancy are:
- Taking of food that may have touched the parasite affected cat feces.
- Consuming food without washing hands after touching the surface of the tables, where the infected cat walks.
- Doing digging and gardening works which are infected by cat feces.
- Consuming non cooked/semi cooked meat
- Not maintaining personal hygiene after changing the cat litter box.
Symptoms of Toxoplasmosis
There are no particular signs and symptoms for this infection and the most common symptoms are:
- Sore throat
- Fatigue and weakness
- Rashes to the skin
- Muscle aches
- Lymph nodes swelling
People who are affected with this infection need to continue the medication after delivery also. Doctors prescribe antibiotics at this time and taking some measures like: washing hands properly before taking food, maintaining hygiene, eating cooked meat, drinking boiled water may reduces the risk of this infection.