Premature labor means the body starts getting ready for birth too early at the time of pregnancy. Generally it causes three months before the due date and this result in the early birth of the baby. Now there are many medications to extend premature labor and doctors can delay this period. This condition happens due to the uterine contractions that cause the cervix to open earlier than normal. This results in the birth of the baby earlier and causes health problems to the baby like chronic lung diseases, cerebral palsy and developmental delays.
Risks for premature labor
There are no clear issues factors that cause preterm labor and there are few factors that cause uterine contractions and cervix contractions before the due date.
- Pregnant with multiples
- History of previous premature birth
- Uterine/cervical abnormalities
Some medical factors including:
- Vaginal infections, kidney infections and recurring bladder.
- Urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted infections
- Fever with infection
- Sudden vaginal bleeding after 20 weeks of pregnancy
- High BP, kidney diseases and diabetes.
- Underweight/overweight during pregnancy
Some lifestyle risks for pre mature labor are:
- Alcohol consumption
- Physical, sexual or emotional abuse
- High stress, low income
Symptoms of premature labor
It is highly recommended to consult doctor immediately if you notice the following pre term labor symptoms:
- Backache: It usually at the lower back and it may be constant or come and go. It won’t ease after changing the positions also.
- Contractions for every 10 minutes or more often feel like baby is pushing down
- Lower abdominal cramping like menstrual cramping
- Vaginal leakage and vaginal discharge
- Increased vaginal discharge, vaginal bleeding
Treatments for premature labor
- Pelvic examination
- Monitoring uterus
- Laboratory tests