IVF treatment side effects vary from patient to patient. However, reactions to medications may include skin irritation at the injection site, abdominal bloating, headaches, breast tenderness, and nausea. Some side effects after IVF may include:
• Passing a small amount of fluid after the procedure
• Mild cramping
• Mild bloating
• Breast tenderness
• Pelvic pain
• Blood in the urine
• A fever over 100.5 °F
• Heavy Vaginal Bleeding
As with most medical procedures, there are potential risks. Fertility medications can have various side effects including mood swings, headaches, abdominal pain, hot flashes, and bloating, among other side effects. Although it is rare, fertility medications may cause ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome (OHSS). Symptoms of OHSS may include abdominal pain or a feeling of being bloated. More severe symptoms include the following:
• Decreased urinary frequency
• Shortness of breath
• Nausea or Vomiting
• Severe stomach pains and bloating
• Ten pound weight gain within three to five days
Additional risks of IVF:
- Egg retrieval carries risks of bleeding, infection, and damage to the bowel or bladderThe chance of a multiple pregnancy is increased with the use of fertility treatment. There are additional risks and concerns related to multiples during pregnancy including the increased risk of premature delivery and low birth weight.
- Assisted reproductive technology (ART) involves a significant physical, financial, and emotional commitment on the part of a couple. Psychological stress and emotional problems are common, especially if IVF treatment is unsuccessful.
- IVF is expensive, and many insurance plans do not provide coverage for fertility treatment. The cost for a single IVF cycle can range from at least Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 80, 0000 in India.