ART procedures are the most viable option for the most infertile couple and the success rates with these treatments are also high compared to the other infertility treatments. Based on the views and options for the couples, these IVF and ICSI techniques are combined with natural fertility in order to increase the chances of success. Many of the doctors are now recommending ART procedures after utilizing natural fertility first. The success rates of IVF are increased up to 47% if they use natural fertility along with IVF.
Cost of ART procedures in India
For basic IVF cycle, for one cycle it costs an average of approximately Rs. 2, 50,000 and it can range up to Rs. 4, 50,000 including all medications and other charges. If the couple wants advanced IVF procedures, it costs an additional amount for that. The advanced ICSI treatment is Rs. 1, 50,000 to 2, 50,000. There will be additional 1, 20,000 apart from the IVF cost.
Health risks due to ART procedures
IVF drugs are dangerous to both mother and the baby. There is clear evidence that it creates a high risk of birth deformity and severe health problems associated with IVF births. The doctors advised children born from IVF are monitored well into the adulthood as there are no long term data available about their health as adults.
The health risk includes:
- 20-30% higher risk of miscarriage
- 55% increased risk of pre- eclampsia
- 155% increased risk of stillbirth
- 170-200% increased risk of very low birth rate.
There was a risk of getting uterus cancer in future due to the drugs used at the time of IVF. The couple should study about the risks and side effects due to IVF and they need to choose it as a last option for infertility treatment.
Additional risks of ART procedures include:
- The egg retrieval process results risk of bleeding, infection and damage to the bladder.
- There is an increased chance of getting multiple pregnancies with the fertility treatments. These treatments also increase the risk of premature delivery and low birth weight.
- There is a significant psychological, emotional and physical stress, especially if IVF is unsuccessful.
- Many insurance plans are not provided coverage facility for IVF and the cost of the treatment is very expensive.